Whether you are already volunteering or just thinking about it, Saltire Awards are for you! If you are aged between 12 and 25 you will be eligible to take part.
Firstly you could try out volunteering by taking part in a team challenge or start learning new skills with the Saltire Approach. Not only does it look great on your CV but you can also earn Young Scot Reward Points which could entitle you to some fantastic prizes.
Volunteering is a great way to learn loads of new skills and at the same time help your local community. Whether you’re looking for skills and experience for your CV, applying to college, or just want something to do in your spare time, volunteering is an ideal solution. There are lots of opportunities such as volunteering with animals, getting stuck in at a youth club, or helping out at your local charity shop.
The four main sections to the Saltire Awards are:
- The Challenge – designed to recognise people who experience volunteering as part of a group.
- The Approach – designed to recognise individuals as they begin their volunteering journey, with awards for 10 and 25 hours of volunteering.
- The Ascent – designed for young people who make a commitment to volunteering with certificates of completion at 50, 100, 200 and 500 hours.
- The Summit – for exceptional young people who have already achieved the 200 hour Ascent Saltire Award and who have been nominated by the organisation they volunteer with because they have gone above and beyond expectations. Only 12 Summit Awards are given annually in Dundee.
Register for Saltire Awards
- Register your organisation for Saltire Awards – please contact the Saltire team for an organisation registration form. From there we will send your organisation a welcome pack with all the forms you need.
- Register your volunteers for Saltire!
- Keep a note of their hours through their timesheet – the Welcome Pack provides one for you but maybe you have one already. This really helps keep track of when your volunteers are ready to claim their certificates
- Claim certificates! Once your volunteers have completed the milestones for certificates (which are 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500) complete the certificate request form and send this to us. From there, we process and create your volunteers certificates and send them back to you. This turnaround should be within 1 month maximum.
- Celebrate your volunteer’s achievements! Achieving the Saltire Awards is a big deal and something you should truly celebrate with your young volunteers! Maybe put on a celebration or awards event to recognise them for all their hard work!
INDIVIDUAL YOUNG PEOPLE
If your organisation is registered for Saltire ask them to get you to complete the steps above. If not, here is how you can claim your Saltire Awards yourself!
- Access the Saltire website through: https://saltireawards.org.uk/ and click the SIGN UP TODAY button
- Complete the online registration form and then access your account
- Put in the organisation(s) you volunteer with through the Volunteering – My Volunteering Tab
- Start recording your hours under the hours tab
- You will receive a notification when you reach your certificate milestones (which are 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500) and click “CLAIM AWARD” From there, we process and create your certificates and send them back to you. This turnaround should be within 1 month maximum.
- Celebrate you achievement!
Under 18’s Volunteering
If you/your child is struggling to find opportunities to volunteer, and are under 18 years old, have a chat with one of Volunteer Dundee’s Youth Volunteering Workers.
Email Megan and Amanda, or call our Volunteer Dundee offices and ask for them.
FLASHBACK is a unique project in Dundee that brings together young and old in a care home setting. Thanks to ‘The Old People’s Home For 4 Year Old’s’ TV show – intergenerational practice has been a hot topic in today’s world – however what if it was ‘The Old People’s home for teenagers’….? FLASHBACK takes anyone aged 12-25 and connects them with a care home/sheltered housing facility within their own community, where they can carry out meaningful, stimulating activity with their older peers. FLASHBACK tackles social isolation, across both generations head on, and really makes a difference to lives of both the young, and older generation.
If you’d like to get involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information